MigAid SOS Ukraine


Segítségre van szükséged?

Support Migration Aid’s activities.

How do I get medicine in Hungary?

If you arrive in Hungary and need medicine immediately, we’ll show you how to get it!

This article explains:

  • how to buy medicine that doesn’t require a prescription
  • how to get a prescription
  • what document should you bring to the medical examination

You can buy medicine that doesn’t require a prescription at every pharmacy. There is a dictionary with the most important words for various diseases and medicines that you can download after requesting access to the link. It might be helpful to take this pharmacy-communication-aid to the pharmacy to help you explain what you need.

You can find the nearest pharmacy on google maps by clicking on the “pharmacies” button here.

What should I do if I need a prescription drug?

If you need to get a prescription drug you need to take a medical examination.

  • In case you are settled in a refugee reception center, you could visit a doctor who can prescribe medication (for example in BOK-hall, Budapest) if you choose to stay there for the first night.
  • If you are not settled at the BOK-hall, or another refugee reception center, but in another accommodation, you can visit the nearest general practitioner. Here you can see the list of available general practitioners available to you. 

What do I need to take with me to a doctor for an examination?

  • If you have been recognized as an asylum seeker, you should take your asylum card
  • If you were recognized as a refugee in Ukraine before 24/02/2022: the refugee card
  • If you have already applied for recognition as an asylum seeker and are waiting for your ID card: the immigration police data sheet
  • If you are a Hungarian citizen (but do not have a Hungarian Social Security number): passport or identity card.

With these documents, you are entitled to get support for all medicines available in Hungary. The right is valid until the document expires. Based on the above documents, the doctor is obliged to examine you. If this does not happen, you can request legal assistance at TASZ, Helsinki Bizottság or Menedék.

If you do not have any of the above documents, but you:

  • have a certificate of temporary residence that was issued when you crossed the border, or
  • you are not a Hungarian citizen, yet you have a passport, 

then you are entitled to get support for 30 days from the time you cross the border. This means that you can get your medicine at a lower price, as if you had Hungarian health insurance.

If you have language difficulties, Ukrainian-speaking help can be requested at the National Public Health Center at 1812. The call is free.

After consultation with the doctor, you will get the necessary prescriptions which you can take to the pharmacy.

If you have a social security ID (TAJ) the prescription will be electronic. If you do not have a social security ID medicines can be bought with a paper-based prescription.

The information in this article has been verified, but may not necessarily apply to all specific, individual cases! If you have any questions, please contact us at the details below.

+36 30 299 4030



+36 30 299 4030